During tonight’s meeting of the School Board, Bend-La Pine Schools Superintendent Ron Wilkinson announced several organizational changes that will take place on July 1, 2012. The moves come as four senior leaders retire and one takes on a new role outside of the district.
Wilkinson said that Steve Carlson, Technology Director; Bob Jones, Director of Student Safety, Athletics, Virtual Programs, and Alternative Learning Options; Jim Widsteen, Human Resources Director; and Pat Yaeger, South County Administrator will have retired by the end of the school year. John Rexford, Deputy Superintendent, has been named as the incoming Superintendent at the High Desert Educational Service District and will assume the role on July 1.
“Their departure calls for a major reorganization of the district leadership team,” Wilkinson said. “While I am sad to see such exceptional people with an incredible depth of experience leave our ranks, I believe that they have great opportunities ahead of them and wish them all the best.”
“Change in leadership can be a time of concern, but we are fortunate to have depth and experience in our ranks and good people who are ready to step into new roles and take on added responsibility,” he added.
Wilkinson said that several cost-neutral reassignments are being made to ensure that teachers, staff and students have the support they need to continue to move forward and excel in the classroom and beyond.
Wilkinson said that the leadership reorganization includes:
• Shifting Vicki VanBuren’s position to Assistant Superintendent, Secondary Education and Work Readiness
• Shifting Lora Nordquist’s position to Assistant Superintendent, Elementary Education and Student Services
• Expanding Jay Mathisen’s role to Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources and Strategic Planning
• Promoting Brad Henry to Chief Operations and Financial Officer
• Naming Ben Hansen to Director of Information Technology and Operations
• Promoting Jim Boen to Executive Director, South County Schools and Principal of La Pine Middle School
The district will also hire for the following three positions: Director of Instructional Technology and Virtual Instruction, Director of Curriculum and Secondary Programs, and Business Manger.
Wilkinson said he was able to adjust the organizational structure and personnel duties and responsibilities without adding administrative positions.