Fire destroyed three of the nine units at a northwest Bend apartment on 1st Street, early this morning.
Nine people are without housing following the fire, and that's when the American Red Cross stepped in.
Bob Pohly with the Red Cross says for the nine people affected, the loss was extensive: “They've lost everything. They literally escaped with their bathrobes. No one had renters insurance. It doesn't cost a lot. So they're going to have to rebuild from scratch. Those without renters insurance.” It's believed a BBQ left on started the fire on a deck that then quickly spread to the rest of the apartment complex. It caused $800,000 in building damage and $300,000 in damage to people's belongings.