REDMOND, OR -- A Mercedes van caught fire in the Coastal Farm and Ranch parking lot on the south end of Redmond, just after noon Thursday, sending up thick black smoke and causing multiple small explosions. Firefighters extinguished the flames and protected nearby vehicles and trees.
Earlier in the morning, Redmond crews responded to a cooking fire on Southwest 23rd. A 20-year-old woman left a pan of oil cooking on the stove for an extended period of time. Fire spread from the stovetop to the microwave and cabinets above. Police officers were first on scene, at about 5:30 a.m., and discharged a fire extinguisher through an open window to contain the blaze.
There were no injuries in either incident.