BEND, OR -- Bend crews spent several hours on-scene of a devastating house fire on Awbrey Butte, Wednesday morning. Firefighters were dispatched to NW Bungalow Drive just before 4 a.m. When they arrived, crews found the home fully involved, with flames spreading to nearby trees and a neighboring home.
Officials are providing very preliminary information, saying the family of four and three house guests were woken by smoke alarms and safely evacuated as the fire spread quickly. The house appears to be a total loss and two dogs were lost in the fire. No other injuries reported.
A nearby accessory dwelling unit - or granny flat - and a neighboring home suffered minor damage. Bend Police expect a "long term closure" of NW Bungalow Dr. Constellation was closed for a time, but reopened at about 6:45 a.m.
UPDATE: Bend Fire investigators say the damage to an Awbrey Butte home was so extensive, they could not determine the specific cause of the blaze. The family of four and three house guests were alerted by smoke detectors at about 3:45 a.m. They all got out safely, but two dogs were killed. The 3,000 square foot house on Bungalow Drive is a total loss; A nearby ADU and neighboring home also suffered minor damage. Fire officials say the fire started outside and extended to the interior. Improper disposal of smoking materials and extension cord failure could not be ruled out as possible causes.