George Noorey

ON AIR NOW

George Noorey

12:00am - 6:00am

Contact
Local News


BEND, OR -- Bend Fire says an ember from a firepit set a deck on fire around 1:30 in the morning on Saturday.


A neighbor saw flames on the deck, spreading to the eaves of the house and the garage, and awakened the family who evacuated and called 9-1-1. When fire Crews arrived, they found the deck engulfed and fire in the attic space of the garage. The home is equipped with smoke detectors, but they didn't go off because smoke had not yet intruded into the living areas.

 

The homeowner said he and his family had enjoyed a fire in the firepit, located about 3 feet from the home's deck, and thought the fire was out before they went to bed. Investigators believe an ember from that firepit was blown onto the deck, catching it on fire, and they would like to remind all homeowners that outdoor recreational fires must always be used in a safe location, away from all flammable surfaces and materials.

 

Hide Comments

Viral Videos