MADRAS, OR -- Central Oregon fire crews have responded to a number of gas leaks, in the past week, related to snow and ice that continues to plague the area.
North of Madras, Jefferson County crews were forced to shut down a portion of Mill Street, Thursday morning, after falling ice struck a gas meter at a commercial building. On Friday afternoon, the intersection of Southwest 2nd and K Street was also closed when ice fell off a residential roof onto a gas meter valve. Fire officials say Cascade Natural Gas was quick to respond and make repairs.
As temperatures warm, the agency says thawing is causing damage to outside fixtures, HVAC units and gas meters.