As of the first of the month, certain rental units in Oregon must have working carbon monoxide detectors as well as the standard smoke detector. “Carbon monoxide poisoning kills about 2100 people every year and injures ten-thousand more. It’s an odorless and colorless gas. It’s a silent killer and a lot of people have sources of carbon monoxide in their home.” Bend Deputy Fire Marshall Cindy Kettering says House Bill 3450 requires the carbon monoxide units be placed within 15-feet of sleeping areas. Rental units that use all electric heat and hot water heaters are exempt from this requirement. Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at many places that sell standard smoke detectors. There are some units that detect both carbon monoxide and smoke.