HERE IS THE LATEST MEDIA RELEASE:
FIRE NEWS--Central Oregon Interagency Dispatch Center
For Immediate Release: August 1, 2013 9:15 a.m.
Website: www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/fire Follow Us On Twitter: @CentralORFire
New Starts Following Lightning
Central Oregon – Lightning throughout yesterday afternoon through the evening in Central Oregon had crews chasing smoke reports and responding to incidents.
By this morning, 48 incidents had been responded to following the lightning. Several fires were responded to and put out following smoke reports; however, 17 fires continue to burn:
· 5 small fires on Little Round Top Mountain on the border of the Willamette National Forest and the Deschutes National Forest.
· 2 fires west of Cultus Mountain
· 1 fire NE of Odell Butte
· 1 fire one mile NE of the Junction of the Forest Roads 46 and 41
· 4 small fires north of Suttle Lake
· 2 fire 2 miles NE of Trout Creek Butte
· 1 fire on Green Ridge
· 1 fire 2 miles north of the junction of Forest Roads 22 and 23
Currently a fire on Green Ridge in the Sisters Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest is causing Lower Bridge Campground to be evacuated for public safety. The fire is not threatening the campground; however, a helicopter making bucket drops on the fire needs to work in the area and people are being evacuated to allow the helicopter to work safely. A 20-person hand crew is also responding to the fire.
In one of the larger incidents, airtankers dropped retardant and engines and crews responded to a fire, approximately 5 miles northeast of Sisters, OR that was threatening structures in the Squaw Creek Canyon Estates on private, state-protected lands. By 6:30 p.m. the crews had put dozer line completely around the fire. Crews continue to staff the fire today to strengthen line around the fire.
# # #