Emergency Fire Closure for Green Ridge Fire
SISTERS- The Sisters Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest is implementing emergency fire closure to protect public and firefighter safety as crews continue to work on the Green Ridge Fire, near Camp Sherman, OR.
Beginning today the public will not be allowed in the closure area and on certain roads and trails around the perimeter of the area until the emergency closure is lifted.
The emergency closure includes the area defined by the roads listed and the roads themselves (map attached):
· From the junction of Forest Roads 11 and 1120 north along Forest Road 1120 to its intersection of Forest Road 14,
· North along Forest Road 14 to its intersection with Forest Road 1490,
· Northeast and then southeast along Forest Road 1490 to its intersection with Forest Road 1140,
· South along Forest Road 1140 to its intersection with Forest Road 1154,
· East along Forest Road 1154 to its intersection with Forest Road 1150, and, finally,
· South along Forest Road 1150 to its intersection with Forest Road 11, where the closure began.
Key areas included in the closure include the East Metolius Trail, Lower Bridge Campground, Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery, Allen Springs Campground, and Pioneer Ford Campground.
The closure will remain in place as long as it is needed to provide for public and firefighter safety during firefighting activities on the Green Ridge Fire. The Green Ridge Fire is approximately 150 acres and is 0% contained. It is burning on the steep slope below the ridgeline, and has been burning uphill to the east. The steep terrain is making access difficult and hazardous for firefighters. Helicopter bucket drops on the fire are expected to continue throughout today.
For more fire information contact the media desk at Central Oregon Interagency Dispatch Center at 541-416-6811. Or follow on Twitter @CentralORFire.