The Oregon State men's basketball team is safe, but witnessed the horrific carnage caused by yesterday’s terror attack in Barcelona that left at least 12 people dead and dozens more injured.
No decision had been made on whether to cut the 13-day off-season trip short in the wake of the attack, OSU athletic director Scott Barnes said while addressing reporters after football practice at Reser Stadium.
Barnes said he had been in constant contact with coach Wayne Tinkle and a collective decision that prioritized safety would come in the near future.
According to Barnes, the Beavers were in the lobby of their Barcelona hotel at the time of the attack. OSU was on the way to a pregame dinner at the hotel when a white van jumped onto the nearby sidewalk and swerved to intentionally hit pedestrians.
The Beavers left Monday for Barcelona and scheduled 5 games from yesterday through one week from today. The attack happened less than 5 hours before the team was scheduled to play.
The trips are commonplace in the college basketball landscape and Arizona, Clemson, Grand Canyon and Tulane were also in Spain at the time of the attack.