REDMOND, OR -- Redmond police are ruling the death of a Redmond man found in a burned out car an accident. After an extensive investigation, Redmond PD says 21-year old Sam Villa died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Friday, November 14, at about 11 p.m., Redmond Fire and Police responded to NW 21st near Larch Ave and extinguished a car fire. Villa's body was discovered in the back seat. Witnesses say Villa got stuck in heavy snow earlier in the night. While a nearby resident tried to help him, he appeared severely intoxicated and upset about his situation. Villa was reportedly revving the engine in an attempt to move the car, and got stuck a couple more times.
Investigators believe the fire started in the engine compartment as a result of the revving engine. They believe Villa climbed into the backseat of the car to rest or sleep and kept the engine running to stay warm.
An autopsy was conducted by the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office, indicating Villa was alive at the time of the fire. There were no signs of trauma and no indications that his death was anything other than an accident.