BEND, OR -- The Bend La Pine School District is moving into the next phase of boundary talks in anticipation of opening two new schools next fall. Assistant Superintendent Jay Mathisen tells KBND News, the 30-member committee will make their proposals available at a series of meetings next week. "We divided that group of 30 into three workgroups. And each workgroup is close to bringing a draft of their product, kind of a model of how they’d draw the boundaries of elementary, and middle and likely high school as well."
District officials and the committee will take public feedback at meetings next week before coming up with a final proposal. The first of those boundary meeting is at Sky View Middle School an hour after the first of the school board's Superintendent Search meetings. Mathisen says the same time and location was intentional. "What we decided was that both these things are important, and we need to be moving along on the timelines on both processes. So the thought was, at least one of these boundary information meetings let’s put it on the same night as a superintendent meeting. The times are staggered to allow a community member to show up and be a part of both of those things by coming to just one school – to Skyview on Monday. "
Boundary informational meetings are:
• Dec. 8, 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the cafeteria at Sky View Middle School
• Dec. 10, 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the gym at Elk Meadow Elementary School
• Dec. 11, 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the library at Pilot Butte Middle School
And, Superintendent search forums are:
• Monday, Dec. 8, 4 to 6 p.m., Sky View Middle School
• Tuesday, Dec. 9, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Bend Park & Recreation District Main Office
• Wednesday, Dec. 10, 5 to 7 p.m., Bend Senior High School
• Thursday, Dec. 11, 3 to 5 p.m. at Three Rivers School and 4 to 6 p.m. at La Pine High School