BEND, OR -- Firefighters responded to a blaze at a Deschutes River Woods property, just after 9:20 Wednesday morning. Investigators say woodstove ashes were dumped onto a pile of pine needles against a shared wood fence. Within an hour, the pile was on fire and spread to the fence.
Bend fire crews quickly knocked down the blaze on Navajo Road, and prevented the flames from spreading to nearby firewood sheds. Although, the fire melted a car bumper and burned away several sections of fence.
Fire officials remind everyone to properly dispose of ashes from woodstoves, fireplaces and campfires to prevent unwanted fires. They should be discarded in metal containers with tight-fitting lids until fully cooled.
Wednesday morning's fire resulted in $1,000 in damage.