BEND, OR -- Fire destroyed a shop on a property between Bend and Redmond, Monday afternoon. The blaze put up a black column of smoke that was visible for miles. The property on 73rd Street is on the boundary line between the two fire districts, so crews from both Bend and Redmond responded just before 4 p.m.
Officials say the occupant was working on a car inside the shop, spilled a small amount of gas and the vapors ignited by the heater. The blaze left $70,000 in damage; the vehicle was also a total loss, and a nearby travel trailer sustained damage to one side.