Troy Reinhart


Troy Reinhart

10:00am - 12:00pm

Local News

REDMOND, OR -- The Redmond Airport plans to create more space for commercial planes to park. "Currently, our ramp holds nine aircraft, which are mostly full at night," Airport Director Zach Bass tells KBND News, "So, we’re adding actually two larger aircraft parking spots for future mainline expansion." He says that could lead to the ability to hold as many as 12 planes, depending on their size.


The "apron" expansion project is expected to cost nearly $8 million. "Basically, when you fly in and out of here, when you get off or on the plane you’re going to be walking over the concrete out there; that is the pad, and we’re just going to expand it," says Bass. The bulk of the project, nearly 94%, would be paid for by a grant from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Bass says the project was already approved by the FAA, as part of the five-year capital improvement plan the airport submitted to the agency. The other 6% of the work would be paid for by the city of Redmond or, Bass says, the airport could apply for an ODOT grant to cover the remainder. 


Redmond City Councilors are expected to approve a request Tuesday to send the official grant application to the FAA. Bass hopes work will get underway by spring 2019, "There should be no effect for passengers, other than when you’re out there, you might view some work going on on the other side of a fence." He says it means, for now, passengers will still walk outside to board their plane, "We are actually looking at, maybe a possibility of adding on to the terminal in about five years from now, and maybe having the opportunity to put two or three jet bridges in to give the customers that complete inside feeling." Those future jet-ways are included in the airports 10-year master plan.

Hide Comments




  • Hwy 20, Santiam Pass, 1-mile East of Suttle Lake to ORE 22 junction, up to 20 min DELAYS, Paving and Striping. 9am-5pm through 10/17
  • NE 3rd Street between NE Greenwood Avenue and NE Franklin Avenue for Citywide Pedestrian Safety Improvements, periodic lane closures with local access, 9/16/19 - 10/25/19, night work from 10 p.m. - 10 a.m.
  • 61st St CLOSED between Young Ave & Canal Blvd as part of the “Six Corners” Improvement (through 11/8)
  • SE 3rd between Hwy 97 and Murphy Road CLOSED 8pm – 5am (8/25-10/18)