BEND, OR -- An early morning fire damaged a southeast Bend Home, Sunday. Bend Fire and Rescue officials say one person was asleep in a second-floor bedroom, directly above the blaze. She awoke to the sound of smoke alarms, called 911 and evacuated with her dog.
Investigators say the fire started at the natural gas fireplace, although the exact cause has not been determined. Damages are estimated at $22,000.
Bend Fire says the smoke alarm batteries were recently replaced, and says working smoke alarms save lives.