BEND, OR -- Bend Fire is crediting sprinklers for quickly putting out a kitchen fire at the Legacy Landing Apartments on Tucson Way, Saturday evening. Crews arrived to find fire in the third-floor apartment and everyone evacuated.
Crews worked to stop the water and clear the smoke from the building. The building contains 60 apartments on the upper three floors and houses a Mosaic Medical Clinic on the ground floor. There was water damage found in the clinic as well but shouldn’t keep the business from opening for regular business on Monday. Damages are estimated at $50,000.
Due to the water and smoke damage, five apartments have been displaced until the clean up can be completed. Red Cross arrived and were helping the six occupants find hotel rooms for the night. All other occupants were able to safely return to their apartments. The fire sprinkler and alarm systems were restored to ensure the building was safe for occupancy after the incident. Restoration company is on scene to start the clean up process.
The fire sprinkler system stopped the fire quickly and helped keep the damage to a minimum. With the fire stopped before it could spread out of the kitchen, the amount of smoke in the building was kept to a minimum and allowed the occupants to evacuated safely.
Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to keep a watchful eye on anything you’re cooking. Cooking fires are leading cause of home fires in the country.
If You Have a Cooking Fire:
- Get out and Stay out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Turn off the stove and oven when you leave if you can do it safely.
- Ensure everyone else in the home is evacuating as well.
- Call 911 immediately.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and calling 911 for you. Ensure you have a clear way out too.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it’s completely cooled!
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Photo courtesy Bend Fire