Local News

Tumalo Home Destroyed By Fire

TUMALO, OR -- A Tumalo home was destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon. Bend firefighters responded to the manufactured home on 97th Street at about 4 p.m. and found flames coming from the home.

No one was at home at the time of the fire.  While the majority of the active fire was knocked down quickly, complete extinguishment was challenging due to a large quantity of combustible materials in and around the home.  Bend Fire was assisted by a water tender from Cloverdale Fire District, and the last units cleared the scene at 7:37 pm.  The single occupant of the residence, a renter who did not have insurance, was assisted by Red Cross, and both the home and contents were a total loss.  Losses are estimated at $80,000 for the structure and $20,000 for the contents.  Three cats are missing but may have been able to get outside through a pet door.  

Upon investigation, it was determined that the fire originated outside the residence at the front deck area and extended into the structure. The exact cause of the fire could not be determined but is accidental in nature.

Bend Fire & Rescue encourages anyone who is renting or leasing their home to have renter's insurance. The homeowner's insurance policy typically does not cover the possessions of the tenant.  Renter's insurance is very inexpensive and may cover not only belongings, but living expenses incurred if your home becomes uninhabitable.  For more information on renter's insurance, visit the State of Oregon's page.


Photo courtesy Bend Fire

On Air Now

Financial Focus with Tyler Simones and Josh Fenili
10:00am - 12:00pm
Financial Focus with Tyler Simones and Josh Fenili




  • Click the link above to get the latest road conditions.





News Disclaimers