Local News

Bathroom Fires Force Evacuation Of Sisters High School

SISTERS, OR -- Sisters High School was evacuated after a fire was discovered in a girls bathroom trash can Wednesday morning. Deschutes County Sheriff's Sgt. Jason Wall says a student notified staff of a fire in a girls’ bathroom trash can just before 10:30 a.m. "They responded to that restroom - the girls’ bathroom, essentially - and they were able to put the fire out relatively simply, with a fire extinguisher. However, as this is transpiring, we have protocols that are obviously followed, evacuation of the school, so there’s a lot going on, and then a second fire is reported." He tells KBND News, "The toilet paper receptacle that is in each one of the stalls, that was lit on fire. The toilet paper itself was able to smolder and burn hotter than the first fire that took place in the trash can."

That second fire led to the full closer of the school for the day. "The smoke damage was actually pretty intense. The plastic, once it started to melt, created just an absolute mess of black smoke. So we have drywall damage, the facility itself is just filled with smoke. It’ll take some time to air it all out," says Wall. The district says the school will reopen Thursday. 

Sgt. Wall says the School Resource Deputy identified a suspect through surveillance footage of the hallway outside the bathroom. And, she could be responsible for the clean-up, "If the individual is found guilty, the judge - because it is in juvenile court - may state that the family may be responsible for reparations." 

The freshman suspect faces multiple charges, including two counts of Arson.

 

On Air Now

Ben Shapiro
Ben Shapiro
6:00pm - 7:00pm
The Ben Shapiro Show

FlashAlert

KBND ON FACEBOOK

News Disclaimers