Local News

Sisters man dies from injuries in Saturday explosion

************ UPDATED PRESS RELEASE************

Date: 1-21-13

Prepared: Sergeant Mark Eggert


Victim: Donald Pierce 56, Sisters


As a result of this incident Donald Pierce died at Legacy Emanuel Hospital from the injuries he received from this incident.


The Deschutes County Sheriffs Office has completed the investigation in this incident and has determined that this was an accident and was not a criminal matter. The Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office will not be releasing any further details about this incident.


*********************previous Press Release*******************


By Sergeant Ty Rupert


On 01/18/14 at approximately 1808 hours, Deputies from the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to the area of South Oak Street and West Jefferson Avenue in Sisters as an assist to the Sisters Fire Department regarding an unknown fire.  The reporting person advised they had heard an explosion and saw a fire. Upon arrival it was determined that at least 4 to 5 people had been burned from the fire.


Deputies were assisted by the Black Butte Police Department, Sisters Fire Department, Cloverdale Fire Department, Black Butte Fire Department, Oregon State Fire Marshall’s Office, Central Oregon Air Ambulances and Detectives from the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office.


The investigation revealed a homeowner in the area had built a warming fire and was not able to keep the fire burning and so they poured gasoline on the fire which subsequently ignited and then exploded the gasoline can that the gasoline was being poured from. There was no danger to surrounding homes or property.


As a result of the explosion 4 people suffered severe burns to their body, hands and facial areas. Two of the victims were flown by air ambulance to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend. The other two victims were transported by ground ambulance to St. Charles to be treated for their injuries. One victim is in critical condition, two are in stable condition and one was treated and released from St. Charles.


This appears to have been an accident and alcohol does not appear to be a contributing factor.


The Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind people not to use gasoline to start or to keep a fire burning.








On Air Now

Dan Bongino
Dan Bongino
10:00am - 1:00pm
The Best of Dan Bongino





News Disclaimers