(Hillsboro, OR) -- Officials say a cooking fire is responsible for a house fire in Hillsboro that caused substantial damage to the home. Investigators say it happened on Friday after residents brought the flaming cookware outside, where it caught the back deck on fire. The flames spread to the house and into the attic. Neighbors and caregivers got a medically-dependent resident out of the house. No one was hurt. Firefighters say that if you have a cooking fire, smother it to put it out and leave it on the stove.